Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Sweet Sugar Scrub: How Tuesday

Hiya folks. I heard that phrase (How Tuesday) first on our dearly beloved etsy. I'm stealin' it until I can think of something cleverer.

So. I'm a nurse. I wash my hands all the time. Sometimes they need a little TLC. Maybe you know a professional dishwasher. Or a parent. Or a mechanic. Or somebody else that needs a little hand lovin'. Oh, hush. You know what I mean. Only my readers would take "hand lovin'" to mean something ... like that.

So here it is, a recipe that's a conglomeration of lots of other recipes.

Sweet Sweet Sugah Scrub
***********************
1 cup brown sugar
1/8 cup oil (I like olive because I always have it, but you can use almond, grapeseed, hazelnut, coconut, anything non-allerginic. NOT essential oil though, 1/8 cup is way too much)
smidge Essential oil (I like tea tree oil - its antimicrobial properties are well-known, and it smells clean. I like lavender too. Use whatever you like as long as it isn't contraindicated).

Combine the sugar and the oil in a large jar with a lid. Add something less than 10 drops of the essential oil. If it's summer, it's not a bad idea to keep this in the fridge. The coolness will feel extra good. It tends to keep a while, but I'd use it up within a month. You can also add a bit of vitamin E oil and keep it a bit longer. Shake all your ingredients up in the lidded jar, and treat your body to a little happy time. Double or quadruple the recipe and make some for your buddies for a holiday treat!

You can also add other things, like a bit of cinnamon.

I'm not very good at writing these things. Aren't recipes supposed to be more like "do exactly this?" Am I a laissez-faire craft teacher? Yeah, I pretty much am. That's how I learn, by trial and error. That's how I cook, and do a lot of my little life experiments. But seriously, it's hard to eff up this scrub. I should caution you on citrus oils though. I haven't tried it with this scrub, in part because I'm a bit afraid of citrus oil mishaps. I put a tsp or so of mandarin orange essential oil in my bathwater once. I didn't think about it all floating to the top, coating my lower back and sticking to it since it was dry as I got in the bath. Then, the burning happened. Good times were not had by all. Hot water, dialated pores, citric acid, eff that. Make sure you don't use too much essential oil, or the wrong kind for you, and don't expect it not to float when you put it in water.

3 comments:

Tia Colleen said...

I really want to try making my own sugar scrub. I'm just too lazy to do it.

HMaas said...

Thanks for this, my hands get so dry in these Canadian winters - I am sure it will help. You make me laugh - I love reading your posts.

Hybrid Hopes said...

Heh, I'm glad, Heather.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...