Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Enemies!

These guys are on my flora shit list.

Criminal number one:
Hairy Bittercress. Spawns like rabbits and Quiverfull fiends. At least the stuff is edible, as a bit of a bitter addition to salads and such.


Purple Dead Nettle. Almost got misidentified as Henbit, which has a pretty cool name. Bees like it. I like honey, and I like flowers to get polinated, so I like bees. If you turn it into tea, it makes you sweat. It's also called Purple Archangel, and the fresh leaves are useful to stop minor surface bleeding.


This jerk, Common mallow (Malva neglecta), is actually medicinal and can thicken soups like okra does.


A little research and I like some of my weeds. Interesting.


Thanks to
Virginia Tech's Weed ID Guide
wiki
Sand Mountain Herbs

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

HOW CAN YOU HATE PRETTY EDIBLE FLOWERS
WEIRDO

Hybrid Hopes said...

((quirks an eyebrow))
did you read the whole post?

and, dear poster, if you are my sister, i'll call you tomorrow. although my sister usually misspells "weirdo."

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...