Sunday, July 17, 2011

Sea VS Skyscraper Hat (free pattern)

Supercute hat!

Picture of yarn pending!

I went to an amazing garage sale and got several skeins of this "baby" yarn for two bucks a skein. An internet search said it's a machine washable yarn, the yarn label stated to handwash and lay flat. A test run of a quick knit wristband shows it handles both machine washing and machine drying with flying colors, ie no change in color, no colors leaking on to each other, no pilling, no fuzzing, no nothing. It looks and feels almost exactly like it did before. Plus it dries reeeeally quickly. So it's great for babies and folks with new babies and anyone else who doesn't want to spend time handwashing.

Enough about the yarn. On with the pattern!


Sea VS Skyscraper Hat

PICTURE OF HAT PENDING

I love this hat. I love the how the ribbing stretches, revealing shorter and longer strips that remind me of skyscrapers. I love the colors that make me think of imaginary seas - it's not green enough or dark enough to be the Pacific off Ventura, where I grew up. It's a candy colored version of the sea. No pollution here! It's a candy colored version of the city (no police brutality, no places where the only "affordable housing" is a grocery cart...). Just a nice, warm, quick-to-knit, hopeful hat.

Items:
1 skein Filatura Di Crosa Baby Kiss yarn in blue/teal (or generously weighted worsted weight yarn, takes about 88 yards) I used almost exactly one skein, so you may want to get two just in case!
set of size 10.5 dpns

Time: it took me about two hours with frequent interruptions, and I'm kind of a midspeed knitter.

Using the long tail cast on method (a great page about casting on is available on knitty), cast on 72 stitches.
Join, being careful not to twist the cast on row. (I always find this line in instructions funny. Like you wouldn't be careful with the basics... Anyway, don't twist your rows, your wrist, or your chonies).
It's time to rib!
Rows 1-5: k2, p1 to end of row. This is about 3/4 inches.
Rows 5-10: k5, p1 to end of row. This is about 3/4 inches.
Now knit around for about 3-4 more inches.
Now it's time to decrease!
Decrease row 1: (K10, k2tog), repeating 'til end of row. (66 stitches)
Decrease row 2: (K9, k2tog), repeating 'til end of row. (60 stitches)
Decrease row 3: (K8, k2tog), repeating 'til end of row. (54 stitches)
Decrease row 4: (K7, k2tog), repeating 'til end of row. (48 stitches)
Decrease row 5: (K6, k2tog), repeating 'til end of row. (42 stitches)
Decrease row 6: (K5, k2tog), repeating 'til end of row. (36 stitches)
Decrease row 7: (K4, k2tog), repeating 'til end of row. (30 stitches)
Decrease row 8: (K3, k2tog), repeating 'til end of row. (24 stitches)
Decrease row 9: (K2, k2tog), repeating 'til end of row. (20 stitches)
Decrease row 10: K2tog to end of row (10 stitches)
Decrease row 11: k2 tog to end of row (5 stitches)
Break yarn, run yarn through remainder of stitches, pull tightly and tie off. (I almost always tie a knot in the yarn when I'm making items I'm going to be machine washing, or items for kids.
Weave in any other ends.

This hat is stretchy and should fit a large one year old (my kid has a big head) up to a small adult. (It "fits" me but I prefer a slightly looser hat than this one).

PICTURE ON ISO PENDING
PICTURE ON ME PENDING

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...